Monday 2 November 2009

So was your ear funned?



















Let's start at the top shall we...

Firstly let me say a huge thank you to all those that came along to our Fun Your Ear Midlands party last friday @ the Moog bar here in Nottingham. Despite it being a party set in Robin Hood's home town, many travelled from a lot further afield - residents of Manchester, London, Northampton, Leicester, Derby and even the Southcoast were all in the house. In total, 15 djs took to the decks over the course of 7 and a half hours dropping everything from old school boogie, detroit hip hop, soul classics, deep house and - oh bugger it - there's no way I can list ever genre that made a drunken appearance. I do remember witnessing a jazz dance off at one point to some hi-speed Japanese Soil and Pimp type flavours and I'm still getting flashbacks of the impromptu MC set from Nottingham's very own Soulful Deviant aka Naz. On the subject of my own microphone antics, I feel I must apologise. It appears to be getting worse each month but in my defence your honour I have to admit the reason for this is I've been getting a little excited about seeing our monthly Soul Buggin' night begin to mushroom. As the absence of any kind of regular 'dancefloor' soul night here in Nottingham (bar the odd one off party here and there) becomes evermore apparent it gives myself, Wrighty and Mark even more determination and drive for it to continue and we're currently putting together some great line up's for 2010. Watch this space.

Of course, when we say 'soul', we're not trying to pretend we're an old motown night or dusty northern 45 dance, the genre is bigger than that for us and I'm sure you'll understand where we're coming from. Don't get us wrong, we bloody love our old school flavours as much as Mr Kippling loves his cherry bakewells but if you think we're going to deny the chance of the latest Warp release, Brownswood 12" or Carl Craig re-rub to be dropped because "it's new" then I'm afraid we're going to have to send you to bed with no dinner. It's as much about future soul flavours as it is the past. God that sounds wanky but you get the jist.

So on the subject of all things 'future' all eyes turn to our next party on Friday 27th November as we welcome our very special guest Benji B from BBC 1Xtra to Moog. To say we're excited is an understatement not seen since Willy Wonka first got the keys from the estate agent to his chocolate factory and turned round and said "Cheers". On my next blog in a couple of weeks I'll be giving you more details about that gargantuan party but until then keep it fruity and try your best to adapt to life without Masterchef on the box (for a little while at least).

x

Beane

No comments:

Post a Comment